Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Standing on the Threshold

Yesterday we handed over our keys to the Heights house. It was the first closing I went to that felt like it didn't take long enough. When the title company said we were finished signing papers, I found myself continuing to talk to the young couple across from me basically because leaving that room meant it was finally over. Even though we no longer lived there, it still was ours and gave us our "Heights street cred." There is something so unique and magical about that area of Houston that just makes you feel like you are warping back in time and yet being the most progressive at the same time. The newly engaged couple sitting across from us had everything we just closed a chapter to waiting ahead of them. Their wedding, registering, buying a dog, backyard bbq's with friends, walks around the neighborhood, snow cone runs, and lazy Sunday's on the couch watching football or golf. To be young and newly married!





I have several friends facing transitions right now. New life, new love, new places, and new journeys! I think of each of them, just like me, anxious at the beginning of this new journey you are about to face. That door that slams shut behind you sometimes leaves you shaking in your boots. A familiar Garth Brooks song comes on and all you want is a pint of beer and a class to skip, but those days are long gone. Sure you still have friends in low places, but they all have work the next day (and potentially a baby to wake them up at 3:00 a.m.) Thank God for these new adventures, new responsibilities, smiling babies, careers, love and homes to keep us so busy. This is what we all have been working for our whole youth and it is finally here. The fruits of both our parents and our labor coming full circle.

I often think of what I would want to tell my 21 year old self if I were able to go back in time. The good sign is, I find myself not wanting to spill the beans at how amazing it all will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment