Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Nostalgia

Today I went to our old house on 28th Street to meet with our realtor. I pulled into a driveway that I had driven up to hundreds of times, stepped out to a flower bed that I remembered seeing next to my high heals all the time, and walked up to steps that felt all too familiar. Goodness the memories in that house. What is funny is the things I think about most that make me sad about leaving that house are actually our day to day routine. Nothing overly out of the ordinary that stood out. It is the morning and evening walks we would take Cooper on. It is walking in to that familiar, cozy smell of our house. It is remembering the constant leaves we needed to rake up. The house was so small you knew where everyone was and what everyone was doing at any given moment. Thinking about the three of us there reminds me of our original family unit. It is like looking back at High School days and thinking how "simple" it all was, even though at the time it didn't feel simple at all.

The pang of nostalgia. I remembered coming home and talking to Michael on my walks about something crazy that had happened at work that day. I would have been totally consumed and overwhelmed and he would calm me down and give the most basic advice. It often times was very common sense, but it took it coming from him to remind me of what the right thing was to do. These are the same talks that made us the best of friends before we started dating. His honesty and genuine idea of what is right always is refreshing to hear.

So much has changed in a year. Obviously in the best ways because we have someone else to love and incorporate into a whole new routine. Still the start and ends to my day are always the best part. It kind of reminds me of a sandwich. You can always pick what you want to put in the inside, but you shouldn't take it for granted that a sandwich isn't a good sandwich without the bread on either side.












3 comments:

  1. Totally love your sandwich analogy! It's true. You can't forget the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there was a like button I could push! Love the now and then pic of Cooper!!!

    ReplyDelete